Problem with phoenix-bin

Can anyone shed some light on why Phoenix on the Mac compiles just fine but gives a segmentation fault when I try to run the phoenix-bin file? I used the mozilla-bin file from a previous build of Mozilla in place of the bad phoenix-bin and to my surprise it seems to work. This probably causes problems that I haven’t run across yet.

7 thoughts on “Problem with phoenix-bin

  1. Actually no. The build of Phoenix uses the Mozilla binary renamed to ‘phoenix-bin’. Why this works I have no idea!

  2. Considered updating? Apparently new Mozilla source is out today…there are a few small glitches, if I knew C at all I’d try to help, but I am but a poor PERL coding soul. 😛

  3. I am currious how you got it to build at all. And if it built ok, how did it run? wouldnt you need Xwindows or to create a Cocoa wrapper or something? I am by anymeans an accomplished C++ developer, just a hobyist. I know you did it, cause it does work!

    Thoughts?

  4. Phoenix is based on Mozilla which is a Carbon front end with a Unix back end. The build instructions are here. You have to pull the source and build Mozilla regularly. Then update your .mozconfig file with as in this page (without the last xft line). That’ll build Phoenix. But the phoenix-bin will be corrupt somehow. You can use the phoenix-bin from my build or use a mozilla-bin file and rename it to phoenix-bin.

  5. Could it have to do with the optimization line (second to last)?

    i686 typically has to do with optimization for Pentium 2, 3, or 4 (I’m not sure where the boundry between i586 and i686 is). Optimizing something for a PC won’t help it to run on a Mac.

  6. Ah, well I didn’t use the i686 line either. This is the .mozconfig I used.

    export MOZ_PHOENIX=1
    mk_add_options MOZ_PHOENIX=1
    ac_add_options –disable-tests
    ac_add_options –enable-crypto
    ac_add_options –disable-mailnews
    ac_add_options –disable-jsd
    ac_add_options –disable-composer
    ac_add_options –enable-plaintext-editor-only
    ac_add_options –disable-mathml
    ac_add_options –disable-debug
    ac_add_options –enable-optimize=-O2
    ac_add_options –enable-strip
    ac_add_options –enable-extensions=cookie,xmlextras,typeaheadfind,wallet

    I’ve made a build recently and phoenix-bin still crashes unless I replace it with an earlier version.

Comments are closed.